[lbo-talk] speaking of education...

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Jun 14 11:23:27 PDT 2011

I had no idea what Broad Residency meant. So I looked it up:

http://broadresidency.org/become_a_resident/selection_criteria.html

Not only is there no requirement for experience within an educational institution or its administration, they actually discriminate against such experience. Go down to the bottom of the page:

``Criteria for candidates currently working in an education organization:

``A major focus of The Broad Residency's professional development is to help participants transition into their new role in the first two years. Therefore, candidates currently working in a district, charter management organization, or federal/state department of education can apply only if they have been in their organization for less than two years by the time they join the program (i.e. candidates cannot have been employed by their organization prior to June 2009).''

In other words `transition' I think means move out of a public service mind set, and move into a corporate `efficiency' mentality.

And it gets worse. Broad lists education organizations from which they will accept candidates. The list is from school districts that have already been privatized or are in the process. Needless to say LA Unified is not on the list. Private charters KIPP in Chicago, KIPP in New Orleans, and of course DC are on the list. I smell Michelle Rhee somewhere...

The only two California public districts listed are Fresno and Long Beach. I assume these are already in the corporatized mode of operations.

Broad Residency is a front training (certification) group for the Eli Broad foundation. The Broad foundation brags about their funding support for research at UCSF, which is itself up to it ass in medical research for profit. They have to be in Diane Ravitch's billionair boys club.

This is really disgusting. It seems to me one of the teacher organizations or unions could file a lawsuit to stop this Broad Residency requirement. A corporate foundation has to certify who is an acceptible candidate to apply to run LA schools?

Somebody down south better get on this.

CG