[lbo-talk] Weiner unhid

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Jun 14 16:43:41 PDT 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:14:08 -0400 brad <babscritique at gmail.com> wrote:

> How can you talk of the DP as monolithic.

There's a fairly straightforward distinction to be made between the institution on the one hand, and the individuals who make it up on the other (particularly the foot soldiers; the noncoms and needless to say, the officers, get pretty identified with and assimilated to institutional goals).

The institution is certainly "anti-political" in Carrol's sense; it operates in such a way as to channel people's energies away from any real political engagement and embroil them instead in the empty charade of "politics" in the CNN sense -- i.e. the unending televised playoffs between a Red Team and a Blue Team, distinguishable only by certain microscopic differences in their mandibles.

Stuffed shirts and foreskins -- well, not in Anthony's case, presumably.

There's hope for some of the foot soldiers, though. Which is why I try in my modest way to disenchant them with the old Whore of Babylon.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com