[lbo-talk] The epidemic of mental illness

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Jun 16 14:29:08 PDT 2011

I was curious because the review mentioned a study that help spur along some of the changes in thinking about these drugs. They've been showing that, although the studies use double-blind studies, since the doctors tell patients about possible side-effects, what happened was that patients, who ostensibly didn't know whether they got the drug or the placebo, would figure that they got the placebo if they experienced a side effect(s). The researchers, IIRC, are suggesting that people believed that they had the drug so believed that they got better.

Now that they are using what they call, IIRC, active placebos - placebos that create a benign side effect - they are getting more accurate results.

This isn't to say the drug didn't help you, just curious. Frankly, my feeling is: if the drug helped you merely because you thought it would help you, then great. Where I get distrubed is with the information that was also in that review: that these drugs are changing the structure of people's brains - and not in a good way. I'm waiting for the second part of the review because the reviewer intimates that at least one book under discussion is a little overwrought.