[lbo-talk] The epidemic of mental illness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 16 18:29:27 PDT 2011

The article does note one plus of all this, a plus that should not be discounted: it reduced the stigma of mental illness & made it a discussable topic. Even the ludicrous phrase, "chemical imbalance," _as a phrase_, was of enormous help to a large number of people. It really is easier to say, "My girl friend has a chemical imbalance in her brain" (direct quote of a freshman talking to me in conference many years ago) than to say -- What? The girl friend was had the symptoms labeled bipoalr. I don't know what effect (positive or negative) of the meds she took: the label was of considerable comfort.

Experience varies on getting off the drugs. I was taking the maximum dosage (I forget the SSRI's name), decided it was for shit, and quit cold. For a couple of months I felt somewhat elated, with more energy, but no other apparent effect.

Now when I started ADx, with amitriptylene ("Elavil") the immediate effect (clicking in 5 days after I reached a dosage of 100 mg.) was dramatic. The day before, 10 minutes into a class, my voice suddenly started to space out like one of the old fashioned record players when the vbatteries wore out. I dismissed class. The next morning, I was sitting in my office 5 minutes before a 9am class, wondering how I would get through it, and click, I had my mind back and could think. The drug became ineffective after a year or two, and no other med ever helped me. (Incidentally amitriptylene is a great sleeping pill: it doesn't interfere with rem sleep as do most . I still take 50mg every night to help me get back to sleep when I awaken in the middle of the night. The other night I was lying fully awake at around 3am, when it struck me: I had not taken my nightly meds. I never need them to get to sleep, but as an old man I wake up two or three times every night, and that is when insomnia is apt to hit without amitriptylene.

Of course most modern drugs are dangerous. I take 100 mg of celebrex every morning. (The alternative is hip surgery to replace my 'old' plastic & hip joint.) Celebrex is a close cousin of a drug that was taken off the market because it was killing people. But before I started it I had to have Jan put on my socks and shoes -- couldn't bend far enough to do it myself -- and was inconstant serious pain. I prefer to gamble with Celebrex rather than with major surgery.

And then there is Xanaflex. It's a muscle relaxant, but I take it to prevent migraine. In the sprint of '99 I developed headaches which at first seemed non-migraine, but they became worse and worse until about every five days I would wake up around 2am with incredible head pain as well as unstoppable nausea (dry heaves). I would head for the ER to be put on morphine & an anti-nausea drub by an IV. Get home around later afternoon.Not fun. And then one day my neurologist mused, "Tension headaches shouldn't come on in the middle of the night. Perhaps its atypical migraine. Before taking Xanaflex I had to have a heart test on a treadmill, then work up to an effective dose slowly. It stopped the headaches completely. So I take 12mgs of it a day. And flomax, which doesn't seem to work as I still get up 3 times or more a night. (The alternative there is prostate surgery.) It's probable that that many different meds will create some kind of undesirable synergy, but so far not.

Carrol