[lbo-talk] The epidemic of mental illness

Ann ann at gotsky.com
Thu Jun 16 21:25:29 PDT 2011

I take St. John's Wort. In Germany it has 50% of the market share for antidepressants, compared to 2% for Paxil. It has SRRI activity as well as having mild anti-anxiety and sedative effects, according to various double-blind studies. I used to get this swallowed by a nightmare feeling, and a low dose (.9 mg of hypericin, the active ingredient) prevents it, or if I've forgotten to take it that day, within an hour. Hypericin is absorbed and metabolized very slowly and accumulates in the brain and skin, so that's not so good. I grew up (evolved) with these nightmare feelings motivating a lot of creative and interesting things. Sometimes I feel like I should let the nightmare feelings loose again, but life's more pleasant if less dramatic without them.