[lbo-talk] Juan Cole and James Risen

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat Jun 18 15:20:51 PDT 2011

Below is a link to Juan Cole's blog:

http://www.juancole.com/

``Ret'd. CIA Official Alleges Bush White House Used Agency to `Get' Cole Posted on 06/16/2011 by Juan

Eminent National Security correspondent at the New York Times James Risen has been told by a retired former official of the Central Intelligence Agency that the Bush White House repeatedly asked the CIA to spy on me with a view to discovering `damaging' information with which to discredit my reputation. Glenn Carle says he was called into the office of his superior, David Low, in 2005 and was asked of me, 'What do you think we might know about him, or could find out that could discredit him?' ''

And the original story by James Risen:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/us/politics/16cole.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=juan%20cole&st=cse

Is anybody surprized? On the other hand, I think, hey, this is an opportunity to take Obama and Holder to the cleaners. They have not changed the policies or activity of the former administration. The current WH and Congress seems to be even more intent on persecuting whistleblowers than Bush was while pushing vast cover-ups of outrageous government and corporate wrong doing.

I haven't cared much since robably the bogus healthcare debate. I did find some solice in my voyeuristic hope for others of late.

Meanwhile in my own work, its been difficult to keep up energy for a project that the nonprofit said it wanted, but has provided almost no support. The org has had several decades of doing nothing but keep getting grants with little or no follow through.

CG