[lbo-talk] Columbo RIP

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 25 03:42:49 PDT 2011

This is a great story. I'll bet it ain't true though.

"I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past " (Tom Waits)

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-peter-falk-20110625,0,1816709,full.story

[...]

At age 3, Falk underwent surgery to remove a malignant tumor that cost him his right eye. He later recalled dreading having anyone ask him what was the matter with his eye. But by the time he was a teenager, his self-consciousness disappeared after he realized he could get a laugh with it.

Once, when he was unfairly called out at third base during a high school baseball game, Falk is said to have taken out his glass eye and offered it to the umpire saying, "You need this more than I do."

[...]