[lbo-talk] Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser grabbed fellow Justice Ann Walsh Bradley around the neck

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:34:53 PDT 2011

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20110625/APC0101/306260027/Report-Supreme-Court-Justice-Prosser-grabbed-fellow-justice-around-neck?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser grabbed fellow Justice Ann Walsh Bradley around the neck in an argument in her chambers last week, according to at least three knowledgeable sources.

Details of the incident, investigated jointly by Wisconsin Public Radio and the Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism, remain sketchy. The sources spoke on the condition that they not be named, citing a need to preserve professional relationships.

They say an argument that occurred before the court’s release of a decision upholding a bill to curtail the collective bargaining rights of public employees culminated in a physical altercation in the presence of other justices. Bradley asked Prosser to leave her office, whereupon Prosser grabbed Bradley by the neck with both hands, they say.

Justice Prosser, contacted Friday afternoon by the Center, declined comment: “I have nothing to say about it.” He repeated this statement after the particulars of the story — including the allegation that there was physical contact between him and Bradley — were described. He did not confirm or deny any part of the reconstructed account.

Bradley also declined comment, telling Wisconsin Public Radio, “I have nothing to say.”

Amanda Todd, spokeswoman for the court, sent an email to the full court on Friday afternoon informing them of the Center’s media inquiries about the matter. Reporters also contacted each justice individually. As of the end of day Friday, none of the justices had commented.

The sources say Capitol Police Chief Charles Tubbs was notified of the incident. One source says Tubbs came in to meet with the entire Supreme Court about the incident. Tubbs, contacted by Wisconsin Public Radio, declined to comment.

Sources also say the matter was called to the attention of the Wisconsin Judicial Commission, which investigates allegations of misconduct involving judges. James Alexander, executive director of the commission, said Friday that “we can neither confirm nor deny” that the incident was under investigation. “The commission hasn’t given me any authority to make any confirmation.”

Center reporter Kate Golden and Wisconsin Public Radio reporters Gil Halsted and Teresa Shipley contributed to this report. The nonprofit Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism (www.WisconsinWatch.org) also collaborates with Wisconsin Public Television, the UW-Madison School of Journalism and Mass Communication and other news media. Bill Lueders is at blueders at wisconsinwatch.org.