[lbo-talk] Michele, serial killer

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 27 15:23:25 PDT 2011

At 11:49 AM 6/27/2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

>"beloved movie star" John Wayne is not from Bachmann's hometown of
>Waterloo. John Wayne Gacy, the "killer clown" who raped and murdered
>33 teenage boys in the '70s, is from Waterloo. Beloved movie star
>John Wayne is from Winterset, Iowa.

I wonder if she knows that John Wayne was not always beloved. I first heard this story in Chalmers Johnson's Sorrows of Empire:

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/MemorialParks/pacificviewmemorialpark.htm

Wayne had several run-ins with U.S. servicemen who wondered why Wayne was also not in uniform. In one occurrence, John Wayne in a cowboy outfit including a ten-gallon hat appeared before soldiers recuperating at a naval hospital in Hawaii. He was initially greeted with silence and soon booed off the stage for he represented a patriotic hubris that they came to despise after being confronted with the realities of war.