[lbo-talk] Investment in Libya

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 07:18:14 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:35 PM, <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, February 28, 2011 8:01 pm, Peter Fay wrote:
>
> > 1) The 'democrats' revolting in Libya are not waving the Libyan flag (as
> > the Egyptians waved the Egyptian flag), but instead the Libyan Monarchist
> > flag
>
> No, it's the flag of the newly independent Libya, created when it won
> freedom from colonial occupation.

Not to belabor the point, but I believe the official name is "Kingdom of Libya Flag" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Libya).

"Opposition demonstrators to Colonel Gadaffi used the old tricolour flag of the monarchy and some carried portraits of the king." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Libya This is the monarchy that banned all political parties as soon as it took over (long before Gaddafi came to power) - the one that immediately signed a treaty with the US and UK for rights to a military bases for 20 years.

But I'll grant you your point - I guess there isn't really any flag they could chose that represents independence other than the now-unpopular green flag.

> 3) Libya is only ostensibly a nation-state, rather than a Ottoman-Italian
> > patching together of three separate regions.
>
> This is Orientalist nonsense. Libyans have gone through decades of
> nationhood, urbanization and industrialization.

Perhaps nationhood, urbanization and industrialization just like Iraq? As Sara says, "How'd that werk out for ya?" Or perhaps Yemen, which has had tribal warfare and civil wars for 40 years and is re-igniting as we speak?

Would we also say Asharq Al-Awsat is "Orientalist"?( http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=3&id=24257):

"Tribal influence in Libya is extremely important, particularly since the 1970s, with tribal affiliation being important with regards to obtaining employment in Libya's General People's Committees, as well as in the country's security apparatus.

"The largest and most influential tribe in eastern Libya is the Misurata tribe, which takes its name from the Misurata district in northwestern Libya. The tribe has particularly strong influence in the cities of Benghazi and Darneh.

"As for the Cyrenaica region, the most prominent tribe's in this area are the Kargala tribe, the Tawajeer tribe, and the Ramla tribe."

Here's the Globe and Mail's take on the opposition's tribal allegiances:

"These include leaders of Libyan tribes that have traditionally been opposed to Col. Gadhafi’s rule – most notably the Warfalah tribe, which was subject to a violent purge by Col. Gadhafi in 1993.

"This led some to worry that the seizure of the eastern third of Libya last week would lead to the creation of a secessionist state with Benghazi as its capital. This wouldn’t be surprising: Until the 1930s, the three major Libyan provinces of Tripolitania in the northwest, Fezzan in the southwest and Cyrenaica in the east were independent kingdoms, and Cyrenaica has always had a distinct culture and politics."

> > 5) Qaddafi's forces are brutal and ruthless. And undemocratic. But they
> > also fight to the end.
>
> No they don't. They're murderous, cowardly swine, good only at shooting
> unarmed protestors with .50 weaponry. The videos are all over Youtube,

Agreed - murderous, cowardly. Unfortunately also are capable of civil war - although I hope I'm wrong.

-- Peter Fay http://theclearview.wordpress.com