[lbo-talk] An Orgy of Speculation?

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:02:10 PST 2011

If Brenner (_The Economics of Global Turbulence_) is correct, the rise of speculation results from secular declining profitability of investments in manufacturing. This is a global systemic problem, so the outcome of local elections (even in the US) does not matter, especially that to date no political party (right or left) has been willing or able to go against the wishes of "the markets" - at least in OECD countries.

Wojtek

Brenner has this exactly backwards. It is the high rates of return in finance that first help, then later undermine manufacturing (so I guess it isn't exactly backwards but the idea that profits fell and then people began investing to make money makes no sense).

I would also challenge Johanna on the notion that capital wants the economy to be doing well before the election. Mostly it wants to use its power to scare politicians to do its bidding and if that means risking the economy so be it (of course profits and high income investors are not really at risk).

Brad