[lbo-talk] ravitch talks to jon stewart

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:04:01 PST 2011

The thing that really set me off - and I'm working from memory here - was when Ravitch pointed out that our upper middle class kids do very well but that our 33% (again, memory...) childhood poverty rate is infinitely more to blame for low test scores than teachers, Stewart nevertheless responded by saying that giving poor parents a choice between (large,) scary, chaotic and lousy urban schools and smaller, more regimented and nicer charters couldn't be a bad thing. I think she then missed a chance to say 1) that charter's don't on average get better results from equivalent groups of kids and 2) "choice" means busting unions, cutting salaries, privatizing services and perpetual 3-5 year burn out ratios... though I'd have preferred it if she'd just said that schools are being scapegoated for the consequences of neoliberalim's exacerbation of social inequality and that no "education" program is going to solve the problems with education if education's problems aren't primiarly rooted in education.