[lbo-talk] An Orgy of Speculation?

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 22:36:40 PST 2011

OK, here's my take on this:

1) Harman mentioned "moral depreciation" elsewhere - he didn't overlook it

2) Harman is discussing "current cost accounting", a well-known term to all including, I assume, him, which assumes depreciation ("The current cost is usually calculated by adjusting the historical cost for inflation, in addition to the usual adjustments such as depreciation." http://moneyterms.co.uk/current-cost/). Since (it appears) he assumed depreciation, this would then make his conclusion logical "current market value is less than what was laid out on it: the rate of profit will appear higher than it actually was". That is, current market value (including depreciation) undercounts the actual outlays originally made to purchase it.

Profit = $100,000 Equipment = $1,000,000 when new Depreciation on equipment = $100,000 due to productivity, inflation, etc. Current equipment market value = $900,000 now

Rate of profit using current-account method = 100,000 / 900,000 = 11% Rate of profit if using true historical outlays = 100,000 / 1,000,000 = 10%