[lbo-talk] An Orgy of Speculation?

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 08:32:47 PST 2011

Let me paraphrase Hicks's point to tell you why the rubbish makes sense in terms of economics. In terms of accounting, which Hicks calls backward looking, you are correct. He expected profit was based on a five-year life expectancy, which turned out to be three. In effect, profits in the second year still would be calculated in terms of the five-year lifecycle. The problem is you cannot know the moral depreciation until after the fact, so profits are calculated on past patterns – the five-year lifecycle. Hicks's point is that the economic value of the computer is the future profitability, which is unknown. In short, economists have no way of calculating depreciation.