[lbo-talk] spam poetry

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 7 15:41:23 PST 2011

Northrop Frye, having to my satisfaction utterly trashed attempts to incorporate evaluation into artistic criticism, goes on to point out an empirical point: most scholars find out that they return more often to and find more interesting things to say about some texts than others. This is true, of course, even after the selection is narrowed to writers popularly labeled "great': That is, even among the (alleged) "great" writers, different scholars find themselves returning more often to some than to others. I add this to point out that the empirical fact Frye mentions is not a merely a way to sneak in evaluation by the back door. In the 1950s I was giving as much time to Donne as to Jonson; by 1970 I found that I had returned quite often to Jonson's poetry, less often to Donne. By (say) 1990 I had practically ceased to reach for Donne, still almost weekly reached for the Jonson volume. That is not, it is clear, a formal judgment that Jonson is "better." That is absurd, and would be absurd if the names were reversed. There simply is no way that judgments of art can be supported.

Now I haven't read the spam that Doug & Catherine are referring to, and I probably won't. I seldom read anything now unless there is a pressing need to: I read too slowly and painfully. But if it is a consciously constructed text, it has as much "right" to be called "art" as Lear or Dante's Comedy.

"Art" is not and cannot be intelligibly made to be a judgment of value.

Carrol