[lbo-talk] An Orgy of Speculation?

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:55:57 PST 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 12:52 PM, brad <babscritique at gmail.com> wrote:

> Arrighi is a whole other discussion but I think it might bring
> something to this discussion if we could avoid the polemics
> surrounding his obvious third-worldism and general anti-historicism.

At the risk of getting sidetracked into just the sort of counterproductive discussion you mean to avoid, what do you mean by his anti-historicism?

Re: his theory of financialization itself, if I read L20C correctly, is a sort of RBC of the long duree - certain regions lose their economic and political dominance and vitality, and finance both serves as an outlet for otherwise infertile investment and a vehicle for diverting it to waxing industries/states/regions. On the face of it, though, this doesn't at all with the recent pattern of capital flows between America and the periphery. I may be misremembering horribly, however.

Re: capital benefitting from periodic crises, can you point me to any good arguments/works on that subject?