[lbo-talk] Kum-Kum Bhavnani's next film Nothing Like Chocolate: needs help

Noah Zweig noahz747 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:14:39 PST 2011

Hi Everyone,

This documentary about the global production of chocolate is in the works. Information about the film (including a clip) is below. The filmmaker is asking for financial assistance via Kickstarter. If you know of anyone who might be able to donate, please forward this.

Thanks and regards, Noah

Dear Friends,

As many of you know, I am making the final push to complete my second feature documentary, Nothing Like Chocolate. To raise funds for the final edit, I have joined Kickstarter, an online funding platform for independent projects and films, through which I would like to raise at least $10,000. http://www.kickstarter.com/e/jPMTK/projects/291830041/nothing-like-chocolate-a-feature-documentary. I have 33 days from today to do so.

NOTHING LIKE CHOCOLATE portrays the intimate story of anarchist chocolate-maker, Mott Green. Mott operates an unusual chocolate factory that turns out delicious creations unknown to a world saturated with industrially produced cocoa, much of it produced by trafficked and enslaved child labour in West Africa. With a rich blend of ingredients missing in the large-scale production of corporate chocolate, Mott utilizes solar power, employee shareholding and small-scale antique equipment to make delicious, organic, and socially conscious chocolate. Each step in the production process, from cocoa pod to candy bar, involves ethical and sustainable methods aimed at empowering the community of farmers involved. An anarchist chocolatier, with his tiny chocolate company challenging the global model of large-scale chocolate production, and undermining the exploitation of child labour -- how could I not make a film about all of this? If you want to learn more, please go to our website http://www.nothinglikechocolate.com

WHY THIS FILM NOW? 2011 marks the 10th anniversary of a voluntary protocol agreed to by chocolate manufacturers, including Hersheys and Mars, that all their chocolate would be made without exploited child labour in a very short period. Releasing NOTHING LIKE CHOCOLATE in 2011, perhaps at Sundance, will both show people are making delicious, slave-free chocolate, and put pressure on the large corporations to stick to their word.

Kickstarter works by giving the film-maker the money only if they reach their target amount -- $10,000 in my case. All of you can pledge your support, from $10 to much higher amounts, and when/if I reach my target, then your credit card will be charged. I greatly need your help in getting to this $10,000 target in 30 days! Your support will allow me to pay editors to create the final edit. Please feel free to forward this email to everyone you think might be interested in the film.

Any amount you can contribute would be welcome ? Kickstarter has the system worked out very well for pledges to be made easily. If you would like your contribution to be tax deductible, please email me and I can explain how to do that. There are many rewards you can earn as you pledge your support, such as downloads, bars of chocolate, tote bags, afternoon tea with me (!), and tickets to the Film Festival premiere of NOTHING LIKE CHOCOLATE. All of this is in addition to the acknowledgements of your support on the website, and in the final credits of the film.

If you cannot pledge monetarily at this time, do not worry. But it would be terrific if you could send this email on to your friends, family, list-serves so they, also, know about the film. And don?t forget the Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites! Please help me to spread the word.

I will be in touch again with updates as the month progresses.

Love, Kum-Kum

Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/e/jPMTK/projects/291830041/nothing-like-chocolate-a-feature-documentary

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nothing-Like-Chocolate/142852049095166?sk=app_2392950137

Website: http://www.nothinglikechocolate.com --