[lbo-talk] Japan industrial development and tariffs

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 19:11:22 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM, michael perelman <michael.perelman3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Judging by business complaints, tariffs have not been as effective as
> regulation in protecting Japan from foreign competition.

Michael,

Can you be a bit more broad?. ;)

I read an article claiming today´s developed countries became industrial powerhouses by protecting their local markets, and Japan was cited as an example. I´d like to know if that was true... ie if Japan had barriers (tariffs or other) against the import of industrial products, to boost local manufacturing. The author claimed Japanese industrial products didn´t became competitive overnight, but became so only after heavy protectionism which allowed it to develop its industry.

FC