[lbo-talk] drill baby drill!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 14 12:00:05 PDT 2011

Doug is correct -- even if peak oil is wholly correct, and all the oil will be gone in (say) 50 years, it is still an utterly empty political issue. It's almost as bad as conspiracy theory. Both in effect say capitalism is great, but it uses too much oil.

But the problem in any case is NOT showing that capitalism isn't nice. I've stopped reading all posts that point to some more bad things: they are utterly boring. Gossip is o.k. for entertainment value. Criticism of capitalism not linked to political organization against it is neither entertaining nor politically useful.

Carroil

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Miles Jackson Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 12:47 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] drill baby drill!

On 3/14/2011 10:40 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> [People who think that peak oil talk is going to push policy in a saner
direction really need to rethink that proposition.]

> http://www.gallup.com/poll/146615/Oil-Drilling-Gains-Favor-Americans.aspx
>
> A solid majority of Americans -- 60% -- favor expanding offshore oil
drilling in U.S. coastal areas, up from 50% last May. At the same time, a record-high 49% favor opening the Alaskan wilderness to oil exploration.

How about this homespun simile: drilling for oil in Alaska to meet U. S. energy demands is like searching for change in your couch to pay the mortgage.