[lbo-talk] weak ties

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:17:54 PDT 2011

Let's back up a minute.

Then I wrote:
> Some? 58% of Senate Democrats and 39% of House Democrats voted for the
war.

Then brad <babscritique at gmail.com> responded with
> Might want to recheck you math: 147 Dems voted against and 111
> for...which, at least were I'm from is not almost all or even most.

Once again, the assertion that "sure some Dems" voted for it, "but most did not" is incorrect. Using the term "sure some", shamelessly tries to hide that: 1) The majority (not "some") of the Senate Democrats voted for the Iraq war authorization, and 2) A full 39% of the House Democrats (hardly what people mean by "sure some") voted for Iraq war authorization, and 3) 100% of Senate Democrats voted for the Afghan war 4) All but one House Democrats voted for the Afghan war 5) In all subsequent votes for funding both the Iraq and Afghan wars for the past decade, most Democrats (frequently all) voted to fund the wars.

Is this really so difficult for the Democrats to admit this - that they were essential in starting and continuing both wars for the last 10 years? Why all the hedging and parsing of terminology?

-- Peter Fay http://theclearview.wordpress.com