[lbo-talk] Japan industrial development and tariffs

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 00:44:11 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM, michael perelman <michael.perelman3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The article is correct.  Chang's Bad Samaritans gives a nice survey of
> the idea.  Japan was particularly adept at creating regulations that
> potential exporters could not meet.

Thanks Michael, I will dive into that book. Thanks for the heads up.

Sounds like Argentina´s "electrical safety" regulations for home appliances and electronics (a testing and approval stamp like UL) that requires importers to submit a ton of units for testing -I don´t remember the number but it was like 240 units of every model you want to import-, -which are not returned to the importer and destroyed after succesful testing-.

That stopped the grey market imports of VCRs first, and TVs and DVD players later. And so the only ones that can comply with the regulations are the big brands (the Sonys, the Samsungs, the Philips of the World) and no small shop can mass-import units from other markets without the additional cost of electrical safety testing and certification.

FC