[lbo-talk] my Bob Fitch tribute

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Mar 15 17:08:44 PDT 2011

We talked endlessly about the role of Wall Street and the real estate elite in planning the city (themes he would put between covers in The Assassination of New York, published by Verso in 1996). So many of the things that were attributed to anonymous global forces, like the deindustrialization of the city and its transformation into the prototype of the globally oriented post-industrial metropolis, were consciously guided by bankers, developers, and their hired hands. They used all the instruments of state power-subsidies, zoning laws, eminent domain-to get their way.

---------

This was done to San Francisco too. The plan was to get rid of the blue collar work force that dominated the city, when I first saw it in 1966. It looked like a industrial city with some downtown finanical district places. Slow over the next twenty years they transformed the place...

CG

Yes, and good read.