[lbo-talk] catastrophy

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:37:22 PDT 2011

Jordan: "http://www.rmi.org/rmi/Library/E08-04_ForgetNuclear This non-technical summary article compares the cost, climate protection potential, reliability, financial risk, market success, deployment speed, and energy contribution of new nuclear power with those of its low- or no-carbon competitors. It explains why soaring taxpayer subsidies aren't attracting investors. Capitalists instead favor climate-protecting competitors with less cost, construction time, and financial risk. The nuclear industry claims it has no serious rivals, let alone those competitors-which, however, already outproduce nuclear power worldwide and are growing enormously faster."

[WS:] Thanks for this link. He makes a good argument, especially that I would like to believe in what he is saying. My original point, however, was slightly different - that nuclear is better than coal, not that nuclear is better than "soft energy." If "soft energy" can replace coal power plant, as he is arguing, this would be of course great, but not everyone agrees with this proposition, I am afraid.

I do not have enough background knowledge to decide between these claims. Furthermore, I am generally skeptical about "micro-solutions" to macro problems (cf. the fiasco of the microfinance hype, or the misguided belief that small business is a favorable alternative to megacorps). I understand that arguments of the "small is beautiful" variety can get a lot of traction the in the US, but I would like to hear from non-USers.

Wojtek