[lbo-talk] catastrophy

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Mar 16 18:29:28 PDT 2011

Joseph Green writes:

> Hey, that's nice. Not only have there been French nuclear
> accidents, but nuclear energy is unreliable in summer.

France is certainly a muddle about nuclear energy. Large portions of France have no A/C in their buildings; the last major heat wave (in 2003) killed 14,000. And yet, most of their nuclear plants (which provide the majority of their electrical needs, something like 80%) often idle on weekends, due to low demand. Ergo, they are very un-economic.

Wojtek probably conflated production percentage with "most" ... but he's been in the US for long enough that we can forgive his mistake. Afterall, bigger is best, yes?

/jordan