[lbo-talk] catastrophy II

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 07:33:15 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

Of course nobody knows for sure how this will play out, but if Jared
> Diamond (_Collapse_) is right, such changes are very difficult to
> implement even in societies facing extinction. But in any case, I
> think that main obstacle is not technological or even economic, but
> behavioral/political.
>
> Wojtek

Now you're uncritically endorsing Jared Diamond? Hyper-modernist, largely apolitical neo-Malthusian "extinction" based on what "societies" "choose" to do? I thought you were opposed to strong structuralist analyses...

Somehow, even this desperately-trying-to-be-fair review of recent debate on Diamond's arguments ( http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2005/08/03/ggs ) misses the myriad number of critiques like this one of Collapse ( http://open.salon.com/blog/timotuck/2010/03/08/an_open_critique_of_jared_diamonds_collapse_haiti_and_dr) that came out when Germs, Guns and Steel was first published.