[lbo-talk] Prescience

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:15:53 PDT 2011

So I just finished Eugene Linden's Winds of Change, on how climate change effects civilizations past and present. He doesn't make a super-strong case for ancient civilizations -- probably because so far there isn't a super-strong case to be made -- and he leans heavily on Mike Davis's work on El Nino precipitating famine around the Indian Ocean in the late 19th century. He does make a cogent if brief case for how it can complicate our current situation. Not bad overall. But what really surprised me was in his account of the American southwest, where regional climate prediction tends to line up moreso than most places, forecasting drought:

[quote]

In Southern California, many homeowners have very little equity at risk because banks have been willing to finance nearly all the costs of buying homes. Will banks continue to do so if prices start to stall, or if insurance companies balk at insuring homes in high-risk areas? And what would happen to the banking system if banks become suddenly saddled with a huge increase in non-performing mortgages and unsalable properties possessed through foreclosure? With no cushion and no buyers, foreclosures would quickly propagate back up through the financial system. Because mortgages have been sliced and diced into so many derivatives, the crisis could quickly become systemic as investors fled markets.

[end quote]

The book is copyrighted 2006.

-- Andy