[lbo-talk] Nobody knows anything

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 21 02:24:10 PDT 2011

Last week I got two new tires on my car. I've been going to the dealership for service because they give me good deals on oil changes. (Everybody needs money these days so dealer maintenance ain't so bad because they're trying harder. Whether or not to go to the dealer for maintenance was never an issue before because I'd never bought a new car.)

Anyway, they replace two tires and put the new ones in front. They tell me one of the older tires has a nail in it and I should go to this place they recommend where they'll probably fix it for free to get my business. (why the dealer is not prepared to do this kind of work I don't know.) So I go to the place they recommend and they tell me I need to rotate the tires because latest studies show newest tires should go in the back.

wtf?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-car-seats-20110321,0,2624954.story

Reporting from Chicago­

The nation's largest organization of pediatricians is telling its members and parents that children riding in cars should remain in rear-facing child safety seats at least until their second birthday ­ and preferably even longer.

This reverses advice many pediatricians gave parents for years that children's car seats should be turned around shortly after their first birthday.

[...]