[lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Mar 21 14:47:31 PDT 2011

Seems very unfair to criticize a man over his style, but in this case there is just this overwhelming effect of fakeness....as you say....

Perhaps he has spent too many years being an official academic radical. Who knows? or cares?

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Smith" <mjs at smithbowen.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 2:36:44 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:50:16 +0000 (UTC) 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Well, I don't know what his problem is, but I found I could not watch
> him more than a few minutes.

Yes. I had the same experience. It was obscurely embarrassing; made one squirm.

I was trying to figure out why (apart from West's usual shallow platitudinousness, I mean).

Best I could come up with: it was like watching a tasteless and untalented parody of, say, Jesse Jackson, performed by a white guy in burnt cork, false beard, and fright wig.

The beard in particular looked as if it might have been left over from a high-school production of The Merchant of Venice, or perhaps a Midwestern Christmas pageant.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net