[lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 15:32:06 PDT 2011

Not sure it's generational. MIT isn't quite the same as the Ivy League, not because it's less prestigious but because success there is less reliant on cultural capital. More importantly, Chomsky's academic reputation was rock solid and grounded in work that was completely independent of his radicalism.

West's reputation depends on performing his radicalism again and again.

----- Original Message ---- From: "123hop at comcast.net" <123hop at comcast.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, March 21, 2011 5:07:45 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

----- Original Message ----- From: "Somebody Somebody" <philos_case at yahoo.com>

If Cornel West is a charlatan, and I don't believe he is, this country could use more such charlatans. For that matter, the U.S. needs more left charlatans to provide an antidote to the plethora of such creatures on the right.

Oh, I don't think anyone is saying he's a charlatan. But there's just something about being the official black radical of the ivy league that takes a toll. Didn't happen to Chomsky, but Chomsky was a diff generation.