[lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 21 19:34:07 PDT 2011

I didn't go to the plenary, but I trust Jan's judgment of oratory, and she responded quite favorably. There is just a sliver of possibility that a new left upsurge is emerging, and speakers who can rouse any substantial part of a left audience are valuable, whether all leftists like them or not.

I did go to a panel at which Glen Ford spoke -- and no speaker has moved me like that since the death of Fred Hampton.

I understand that West & Pliven (and others?) are planning a national teach-in on austerity, debt and resistance on April 5. We intend to round up as large an audience (or as many audiences) locally to tune in to it as possible.

At such a political juncture as the present I do not understand why any leftists would waste his/her time analyzing the speaking style of a comrade if that style appeals to a wider audience, as West's obviously does.

Carrol