[lbo-talk] Libya

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 07:04:15 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-22, at 9:20 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> FWIW, my own take on the events, part of a lively discussion on Louis
> Proyect's Marxmail list which has reflected the deep divide within the
> international left on this issue.
>
> I would deny that there is a divide on the left. Anyone who approves of U.s.
> aggression is simply not a leftist.

Agreed, but who are you accusing of "approving" of US aggression? Who do you think is unaware of the US and EU motives in moving to "support" the democratic movements by force or guile in the Mideast? The young front line fighters in Libya who told a Western reporter a couple of days ago that "we've seen what they do in Iraq, and we don't want that in Libya" and "...we worry about foreign intervention and sending in ground troops"?* The Arab masses who have experienced imperialism first-hand and already have qualms about the bombing, but who have yet to raise the slogan Hands Off Libya? Your fellow Americans in Madison who took inspiration from the Libyan uprising? I don't particularly care whether those who solidarize with the Libyan insurgents call themselves "leftists" or not; the great majority don't. But it grates on me when comfortable leftist know-nothings who well outside the struggle characterize them as apologists for imperialism, as you do - "in the objective sense", of course.

*http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-03-21-Benghazi21_ST_N.htm