[lbo-talk] Church Chomsky

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Tue Mar 22 12:41:33 PDT 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 12:52 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> If you could point me to the hierarchy/theory of computation stuff, I'd be grateful.

Well, it isn't part of "theory of computation," but one place where Chomskian thought persists in music theory is in Lerdahl and Jackendoff's _Generative Theory of Tonal Music_:

<http://www.amazon.com/Generative-Theory-Tonal-Music/dp/026262107X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300822501&sr=1-2>

Their work is still presented in graduate music departments, and especially home turf Columbia, but the joke is that the book was written to keep cognitive scientists who work in the area from embarrassing themselves too badly.

HTH, Charles