[lbo-talk] Style and Politics, was RE: Libya

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 13:48:57 PDT 2011

Carrol: That carping [at Cornel West's 'style'] ... breaks solidarity. It proclaims that "We will not march with anyone who does not meet our aesthetic standards."

I strongly agree with this. And frankly, it's just a waste of time. Like it or not, Cornel communicates with a broad swath of college students, black activists, and pacifists across this country. There's a reason why he's so prolific; there's an audience for this kind of thing.

There's always been an element of melodrama and theater on the left. West is no more silly than the anti-globalization protesters carrying paper-mache dolls or the Palestinian activists who painted themselves like characters from the movie Avatar to highlight the Israeli occupation.