[lbo-talk] Style and Politics, was RE: Libya

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Mar 22 16:09:40 PDT 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:00:55 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2011, at 5:35 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> > It doesn't
> > inspire confidence when [Left Forum] put somebody so silly
> > and useless into one.
>
> But the point is, as Alex Cockburn said of the bourgeois press, to
> fire dense volleys of cliche into the prejudices of the audience.

No doubt you're right. And probably that was what most depressed me about the thing -- the way the audience was eating it up. Or acting as if they were eating it up; I don't know which is worse. Either they're really pleased by such thin gruel, or they believe that solidarity and "unity" require them to fake an orgasm.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com