[lbo-talk] Nobody knows anything

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 17:45:55 PDT 2011

On 3/21/2011 1:35 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> It is true that best tires go in back.

> Joanna

What kind of car have you got? Where to put your new tires depends upon whether your car has got front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive, and what its weight distribution is. On front-heavy FWD cars such as the E90 Corolla I used to have, I'd put the new tires on the front, as the front tires handle the best part of the cornering load and almost all the braking load. On the RWD Miata NB I drive now, I'd put them on the back.

If you can afford it, you'll be doing yourself a favor to get all four tires replaced at or near the same time. Also get an alignment. Also, so they wear evenly, rotate your tires front-to-back _on the same side_ every 5000-6000 miles. You can do that last yourself for free (assuming you have free time, that is!) Your tires and suspension will last longer, which will pay for the alignment, and your ride will be a lot nicer.

yrs wdk "car nut"