[lbo-talk] Libya

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 07:38:06 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-23, at 10:11 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Marv: "I would say we do have a dog in this fight - not the ruling
> regime nor the bourgeois leadership of the democratic opposition, but
> the workers, students, small propertyholders, mutinous soldiers, and
> unemployed who constitute its rank and file"
>
> [WS:] Similar elements also supported Khomeini's revolution in Iran
> against a pretty rotten and murderous Western stooge. And look what
> happened to them. This part of the world has a history of rotten
> elites putting democratic or populist storefronts to legitimate their
> power grab.

Our part of the world also has a long history of failed social movements and of elites putting democratic or populist storefronts to legitimate their power grab. So should we just turn our backs on popular struggles for democratic rights and social reforms here and abroad? I would have throught your endemic scepticism would have already led you to that point by now. What's held you back, Woj?