[lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 08:58:43 PDT 2011

But a politics without representation, exclusion, dogmatism, and utopianism is no politics at all (which is why Schmitt quite rightly sees liberalism as lacking a politics). It is instead an ethics. Is it any surprise, then, that under neoliberalism ostensible leftists spend countless hours and pages and keystrokes elaborating ethics? the ethics of this or the ethics of that, fundamentally personal and individual approaches that obscure and deny the systems and structures in which they are embedded? ___________________________________

I think "ethics" is too kind a word; I'd say "posture."

Joanna