[lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

Janice Cox jkcox30 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 17:23:44 PDT 2011

No, but I didn't see him in a celebrity role and I'm pretty sure, from the response of the crowd, others didn't either.

Disrespect to those who stand with us and others against the ravages of capitalism (celebrity or not) hardly seems to fit into a solidarity framework.

Jan

________________________________ From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wed, March 23, 2011 6:55:38 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

On Mar 23, 2011, at 7:22 PM, Janice Cox wrote:

> But, why on earth, did a discussion thread on a political discussion list
> degenerate into a discussion of his hair, beard, style, and career? That seemed
>
> totally irrelevant and disrespectful.

What's wrong with being disrespectful? Are we supposed to revere celebrities?