[lbo-talk] Audience

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 23 18:47:10 PDT 2011

A musicologist friend was telling me recently of attending a performance of John Cage's 4′33″. He had found it impressive indeed. I rather doubt that a recording of it would be of much interest. And of course a video of it could not possible incorporate the ambience of the concert hall or present the pianist's departures and returns between movements. If the video did not focus on his hands as they turned the pages of the music it would falsify the performance, but it would also falsify the performance if it did so focus, since members of the audience were at varying distances from the performer, and hence would be aware of different sounds floating in from outside, the scraping of feet, and so forth.

And of course a critique of 4′33″ based on a video would make the critic look pretty silly.

Carrol