[lbo-talk] Libya

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 19:33:05 PDT 2011

Would Achcar and others support the current air-war against Libya if the Israeli's were involved, or leading it? If not, why not? What if they behaved in such a way that they caused fewer death (even if by 1), than those that would have been caused by Qaddafi taking Benghazi?

I suspect that we would have fewer waffling on the left if this scenario were to present itself. Naturally, most of us are antagonistic towards a Zionist state which commits daily outrages against the Palestinian people and Arab nation as a whole. Unfortunately this same criticism applies to the United States, a country whose soldiers pose alongside dead Afghans in photo-shoots, tortures its own citizens when they whistle-blow massacres in Iraq, and continue to use robotic aircraft to fire hellfire missiles into homes in Yemen, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.

If this intervention were being conducted without the involvement of the U.S., if it were conducted as an EU mission say, I could almost understand some confusion on the matter, even though I would still wholeheartedly oppose the war. But to fall for the U.S. as savior of the Arab world in 2011?

This is like imagining the Germans to be the liberators of the Herero or the Turks the salvation of the Armenians a century ago. Something's gone wrong that a few weeks of civil war in Libya has already erased the lessons of Iraq and Afghanistan.