[lbo-talk] Cornel West at the Left Forum

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Mar 23 19:38:50 PDT 2011

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:22:47 -0700 (PDT) Janice Cox <jkcox30 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> But, why on earth, did a discussion thread on a political discussion
> list degenerate into a discussion of his hair, beard, style, and
> career?

In my case it was simply because he had absolutely nothing of interest to say. All that was left to think about was his hair, beard, and choretic gesticulation -- which were in fact pretty interesting, on a purely human level; one had to wonder how *he* thinks he looks. (And oh, those cuffs!)

There's another interesting angle too. If (as other contributors have said) West pulls down large fees for speeches like this to largely white audiences, then the parodic character of his act becomes easier to understand.

He is, in fact, accustomed to *playing* a black guy; and as with most vaudeville turns, the act tends to become more and more broad with repetition.

Given the context of reception, it probably can't become too broad; there is no point at which the bien-pensant white folks will pull up short and say, whoa, did Brother West just jump the shark?

Indeed, the broader it is, the better a lot of 'em like it, I'm sure. Gives them all that much more reason to congratulate themselves on their liberality of mind.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com