[lbo-talk] Situation / Context

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 23 20:01:58 PDT 2011

These are loose terms and I may want later to use other terminology. For the present, however, I would use "context" in a fairly narrow sense. The context of a performance of a Mozart Concerto would be the concert hall, the size of the audience and the audience expectations created by advertisements for the concert (an incomplete list of course). The _situation_ as I shall use it here is a broader concept. Someplace in the Cantos Pound quotes a German officer saying something like, "Hey, stop that mathematical music" (crudely remembered), referring to Mozart. I don't know the date of the alleged comment. The situation would include many of the historical conditions which made such a comment possible. In the 1950s if one wished to hear a live performance of Vivaldi one had to go to Carnegie Hall at 4:30 a.m. Musicians from various musical groups gathered together at that time to perform Vivaldi. The context would consist of the same factors as listed above for a Mozart Concerto. But the situation would involve the activities of two musicians in the early 20th-c (one woman, one male: I forget their names now), the writings and conversations of Pound and Wyndham Lewis, the literary developments that had made the comments of such men hold some weight. There would be other factors of which I am unaware. One can see the overlap here with my earlier post on audience: the audience for a Vivaldi concert at 4:30 a.m. would surely bear a different relationship to the performers than would the audience at a more conventional concert -- and this would of course generate a quite different attitude towards the performance than in a Vivaldi concert today, when the Four Seasons have become the most frequently played music on classical radio stations. There would also, of course, be a sense of adventure in the 1950s performances lacking now, a sense of exploring new terrirtory. By the early 1960s, walking down an Ann Arbor street around midnight there would be a high probability of Vivaldi music floating down from some student room. It was still for the most part coterie music however, which would have definite impact on the listening experience.

Or consider reading The Holy Family in 1845, in 1850, or in 1950. These are radically different _situations_ as I am using the term. The context of such a reading would depend (among other things) on the age of the reader, his/her previous knowledge of the Manifesto, whether it was a book found on alibrary shelf, assigned in a class, etc.

All these matters, like audience, are crucial in determining the genre of the work, and thus the relationship between reader and text. (Note that genre is a slippery term: the same text may be of a different genre in a different context.

Carrol