[lbo-talk] Cornel West vs Slåvøj Zïßék

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Mar 24 07:59:52 PDT 2011

On Mar 23, 2011, at 7:56 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2011, at 9:34 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> He is an academic rock star, kind of like Zizek, except that Zizek occasionally says something insightful or worth thinking about.
>
> Zizek is also not afraid to slaughter a sacred cow or two. West traffics in sacred cows.

The Interwebs gave me this choice bit apparently from Carlyle:

"The merit of originality is not novelty; it is sincerity."

Now I don't know about originality but once the novelty of Zizek (I think Carrol once described him as a circus clown!) wears off, West's sincerity towards sacred cows might seem attractive. YMMV. Me, I can live without either of them (especially in the age of Chomsky, Baker, Perelman, Henwood, Yoshie, Penrose, Stolzenberg, Singer, heck even Krugman). Of course, as MacIntyre once wrote, WTF do I know; perhaps Zizek solves equations of the second degree in his mind!

— ravi

PS1>

See how I threw in that well-mixed stream of names there? Now where’s my 250k? :-)

PS2>

Oh the tubes also dug up this one:

Of all the passions of mankind, the love of novelty most rules the mind. In search of this, from realm to realm we roam. Our fleets come loaded with every folly home.