[lbo-talk] Achcar's latest

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 10:17:41 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:

> By cheering for the imperialist intervention, even to the measured measure
> of "two cheers," you just compromise *yourself*, without doing anything for
> the Libyans. And by hissing at it you keep your purity, without doing
> anything for the Libyans.

What imperialist intervention? The world is helping a pro-democracy movement take their country back from a murderous tyrant. This is a UN mission approved by the UN Security Council, including all of the BRICs (they abstained from the resolution, allowing it to pass, mostly as a diplomatic maneuver to try to talk the Qaddafi regime into leaving voluntarily). Ethically, it's the equivalent of saving Republican Spain in the 1930s.

Because we know what's going on in Libya. The social media have flooded the internet with live footage of the regime murdering its own citizens, shelling hospitals, blasting apart children. You can also catch updates here:

http://feb17.info/ http://www.livestream.com/libya17feb

-- DRR