[lbo-talk] Imperialism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 24 15:20:14 PDT 2011

Imperialism (Empire of Capital) is the global pressure that makes tyranny in 'lesser' nations almost inevitable. First all those in which imperialism _creates_ the tyranny (HOndouras, Egypt, Haiti, and others). Then there are the nations that must or can claim they must maintain an authoritarian regime to resist that endless pressure from imperialism. (I make no judgment as to which category Libya falls.) The point is then that nothing is more a threat to human lives, in the short run or the long run, then the global domination by the U.S. & the EU, with Japan, China, and Russia as junior partners.

Regardless of the conditions in Libya, catering to imperialism there weakens the fight against imperialism and destroys human lives -- probably more in the short run in fact -even if the situation there is as bad as claimed.

It is spitting in the face of humanity and the future to give support, even verbal support in that dark corner where leftists talk only to each other, to imperialism.

It is always destructive; usually, perhaps always, even in the short run. I would oppose u.s. intervention in Burma, for example.

I agree with Voyon's posts.

Carrol