[lbo-talk] Todd Haynes and Mildred Pierce

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 23:55:19 PDT 2011

I got way more interested in this when I found out Todd Haynes is the director. Haynes is a real treasure I think:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-mildred-pierce-review-20110325,0,5571730.story

Todd Haynes' five-part HBO miniseries "Mildred Pierce" is not just great television, it's a revelation. Wresting James M. Cain's original story of ambition and maternal morality from the camp-classic embrace of the 1945 Joan Crawford film, Haynes has created not only a rich and nuanced vehicle for his A-list cast ­ among them Kate Winslet, Evan Rachel Wood and Guy Pearce ­ he has given us a rare and valuable gift: an American melodrama about class.

[...]