[lbo-talk] Making it harder to vote

Janice Cox jkcox30 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 03:40:37 PDT 2011

I am too on this one. The current voter id effort has been going on for some time, since 2001 at least, and is primarily pushed by Republicans based on fueling fears of voter fraud, which isn't really an issue with "in person" voting. Courts have generally upheld the voter id requirements, however, including the Supreme Court on Indiana's very restrictive requirement.

http://www.aclu.org/voting-rights/aclu-disappointed-supreme-courts-voter-id-decision

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=16602

http://archive.fairvote.org/?page=215

Jan

________________________________ From: "wrobert at uci.edu" <wrobert at uci.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thu, March 24, 2011 11:34:37 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Making it harder to vote

This is one of those occasional points where I'm a bit disappointed in Carrol. You're absolutely right to see the attempt to disenfranchise poor and working people as part of a larger offensive against organized and unorganized working class power. Just as significantly, it legitimates itself (the act of disenfranchising voters) through the logic of white supremacy and reinforces that logic (It's difficult to avoid the logic of Fox's anti-blackness in its continual rerunning the footage of the so-called New Black Panthers.) robert wood