[lbo-talk] Cornel West vs Slåvøj Zïßék

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Mar 25 06:54:14 PDT 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
> Ravi, with all due respect, you are looking in a wrong place. The
> originality cum value of the speakers resides in the audience, not in
> the speaker him/herself. Nearly anyone has something to say, but what
> is being heard depends on the audience.
>
> A good illustration is Jerzy Kosinski's novel _Being There_
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerzy_Kosinski, also in the film version
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There - itself plagiarized from
> Adolf. Dymsza's _The Career of Nicodemus Dyzma_
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Career_of_Nicodemus_Dyzma The plot
> of both novels is pretty much the same: an uneducated simpleton
> accidentally walks into elite circles where his semi-coherent
> ramblings and digressions are taken for words of wisdom, and the
> simpleton is offered positions of influence and power despite his lack
> of education and experience.

[a bit of a parallel to the recent movie … what’s it’s name … the talented ripley?]

> So it pretty much depends on the audience - what they want to hear and
> how they relate to a particular style of presentation and speaker's
> persona. If the "chemistry" is right, a speaker is viewed as a
> revelation even though what he is saying is not much different from
> opinions than can be found elsewhere.

No argument with any of the above. But, (1) would you say Cornel West is this sort of simpleton? I guess George Bush proved that anyone can get through Harvard, but the man (West) does seem to have done serious work, (2) how things are said matter, I would think? (I sometimes suspect, especially after reading the Cambridge lectures exchanges with Alan Turing, that this — the way things are said — is a large part of Wittgenstein’s appeal).

I think it is likely that West (as he is today) and Zizek are both kinds of *educated sophisticates* (rather than uneducated simpletons) dwelling in and living off of overlapping elite circles, with semi-coherent ramblings and digressions. The difference might be the M.O - West (arguably; and I am still going to get in trouble for saying this) works with the intellectual white person’s penchant for their own version of the “magical negro”, while Zizek seems to cater to a sophisticated version of the self-indulgence and mockery that Mark Ames so amusingly (if lengthily) described in his piece about the Jon Stewart rally (http://l.ravi.be/g1Djwf).

Anyway, I am rambling incoherently, and dangerously (and risking adding more yucks to Miles’s life, as well as alienating resident Zizek fans). I liked your post better.

—ravi