[lbo-talk] family member on strike? you lose food stamps....

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:01:28 PDT 2011

[WS:] Good question. My conjecture is risk aversion. If they do as little as possible and coast along, they can serve their terms, an maybe another term, and then perhaps land on cushy sinecures in law firms or the academia. If they go ballistic and lose, not only their chances of re-election but also landing cushy sinecures will be dramatically reduced. So it is pretty much a choice between taking a personal risk for the hope that it may benefit the party (and its constituents) or playing it safe and putting the party at risk in some future time.

I think that for some reasons Dems tend to be the party apparatchik types - concerned more about their sinecures and aversive to sticking their heads out. Repugs tend to play more risky games, trusting their gut political instincts than polls and consultants, and do not mind rocking the boat. Or perhaps they are not risking that much after all, knowing that their business cronies will reward them even if they do not get elected.

Wojtek