[lbo-talk] Answer the question

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 06:50:38 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> The post I just sent was radically incomplete -- but that's o.k. We
> shouldn't be talking about Libya anyhow; we should be talking about
> Wisconsin and the future it gives hope for.
>
> Carrol

Yes, leftists should only ever talk about or do one thing at a time because there is no relationship between foreign and domestic policy or any one area of either relative to any other component of the arena in question.

I guess it is possible that "Wisconsin" means WI, MI, OH, NJ, CA, FL, AZ, ME and who knows how many other states working through the same processes, but it isn't clear from CCs short post that this is the case and the insistence that domestic and anti-imperialist concerns be treated separately and (at best) serially implies otherwise.

I wonder if Carrol's argument extends to being concerned about Wisconsin but not Japan, nukes and the short vs. long term issues there, too? This kind of argument is used by the neoliberal climate skeptic Bjorn Lomborg who say's climate change is real and anthropogenic but less important than other, more immediately pressing and resolvable things. (And let's not be stupid, I am NOT calling Carrol a neoliberal.)